+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kickstarter madness!

Default Kickstarter madness!

Ok, since the boards got short term amnesia and threads disappeared, let's get up to speed:

1)Double Fine Adventure's campain has ended, smashing every crowdfunding record ever with a final total of 3.45 million (including a few off-Kickstarter contributions). It's more than double what any other Kickstarter has raised and more than six times the number of backers.

2)The day DFA closes, Brian Fargo launches a Kickstarter for Wasteland 2, with the highest goal of any Kickstarter up to that point, $900,000, with Fargo pledging $100,000 of his own money to meet his $1 million target if need be. It blows past this goal in less than two days, and is now the third biggest Kickstarter of all time, and is pretty much guaranteed to finish as second. $2 million+ seems very possible at this point. This pretty much cements that the Double Fine thing was not an isolated incident and this is going to continue to be a viable way for gaming projects with name recognition to get real budgets.

3) The next day, a fat retard who won a $43,000,000 lottery jackpot in 2007 and has no game development experience whatsoever and no team behind him, launches a Kickstarter with a $1.1 million goal to develop an MMO.

4) A new team of ex-Bioware leads are working on an original S-RPG called The Banner Saga, with a modest $100,000 goal. It seems like this will be reached by the end of its first day.

5) The creators of Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive, two of the best adventure games ever made, tease an announcement about the Tex Murphy series for tomorrow, March 20. This is generally expected to be about a Kickstarter project developed by Big Finish games, a studio founded by the series' creators a few years back.

6) I emailed Greg Johnson to ask what was up with doing a Toejam and Earl and/or Starflight Kickstarter. He said once they finish their current project, he's definitely thinking about TJ&E

Default Re: Kickstarter madness!

Gah I hope it doesn't get tarnished more with people like that lottery winner, I really felt the Double Fine and Wasteland 2 projects were a win for the people!

Signature and Avatar were created with JSRF graffiti.

I'd love to see a new TJ&E. I had a blast playing the last one on xbox with my buddies

Sega still makes good games, you just don't play them

I backed both. There's rumors Beam Dog might eventually go for a Kickstarter for Baldur's Gate III as well. Likely depending on how their re-makes of the first two go.
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

So the Tex Murphy thing was indeed a Kickstarter, but it's not launching quite yet:

Super excited about this one, more than any of the others. I recognize the Double Fine is the better developer at this point and Big Finish is rinky dink, but the Tex games mean more to me personally and just being able to return to the story and characters makes this a big deal.

Kickstarter continues to be flooded with interesting things. Since our last episode:

1) Takedown relaunches in its last week with a better pitch and video and pulls a miracle comeback to get funded a few hours before the goal.

2) Brian Fargo announces that if Wasteland can hit 2.1 million, Obsidian will co-develop, providing writing, design, and development tools. This leads to a big spike and the project is currently just shy of 2 million, making this goal almost a sure thing. This will be the second multi-million dollar kickstarter ever.

3)Al Lowe launches a Kickstarter for a remake of Leisure Suit Larry. Although it's not tanking this one needs support!

4) Jane Jensen launches a Kickstarter for one, or potentially two new adventure games. Apparently people don't like Jane Jensen as much as we thought, or perhaps adventure game nostalgics are just overloaded, as it's going slow.

5) Shadowrun Returns launches and seems to be the next big thing and will almost surely make its goal.

Oh wow. I'm sure a lot of people will be happy to hear about Shadowrun. I have no idea who Jane Jensen is. However, hopefully we get some more interesting projects up. Too bad Shenmue III couldn't be funded this way. Unless it was done episodically. Hmm.
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Jane Jensen is the creator of the Gabriel Knight series. I'm more into the funny adventure games than the dark and serious ones personally, but her work is well liked.

Shadowrun has met its goal and keeps on trucking. It seems like this will be pretty well funded in the end. So celebrate.

I preffer the funny ones as well. I wasn't aware that Schafer's work was considered dark and serious. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I preffer the funny ones as well. I wasn't aware that Schafer's work was considered dark and serious. . .
    Schafer's isn't. I was talking about Jane Jensen, she does a lot of horror/mystery themed adventures, which are not as much my thing as the humor-driven games like Schafer's.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information